top of page
  • Writer's pictureCoppull United

Coppull United FC 3 vs Poulton FC 2 – Saturday 28th August 2021

West Lancashire Premier Division

Coppull United FC welcomed Poulton to Blainscough Park hoping to build on their first win of the season however with over 25 players unavailable for selection for both the 1st team and the Reserves this week it was more a case of being able to field two sides this weekend!

Coppull started with Joe Leather in goal, a back 4 of Lewis Schofield, Daniel Fishwick, Jack Wright and Bruno Quintao. In midfield it was Jonty Mattock and Martin Kershaw in centre midfield and they were flanked by the ever-present Jimmy Mciver on the right and Jimmy Hamer on the left. Up top Alessio Degrassi partnered Nat Lindley. The substitutes bench contained Lee Richardson, Jonny Darbyshire and Stephen Lynch.

The first half started well for Coppull who were immediately on the front foot. Degrassi missed a good chance on 3 minutes when well placed. Jonty and Martin Kershaw were dominating the midfield battle from the off and behind them Daniel Fishwick and Jack Wright looked like a partnership that had played together for years and years rather than one that had been thrown together hours before kick-off! Coppull took the lead when Jonty beat his man in midfield and played an inch perfect ball over the top of the Poulton defence which was met by Nat Lindley who chipped the keeper with aplomb to make it 1-nil Coppull. One-nil shortly became two-nil when a cross into the box was met by Alessio at the back post and his shot was saved by the keeper however the rebound fell to Mciver who volleyed home. Coppull strengthened their lead even further shortly after when Kershaw won a big 50/50 tackle in midfield and the ball fell to McIver who hit a shot from 30 yards which deceived the keeper and flew into the back of the net. Coppull United 3 Poulton 0. Poulton responded with a couple of promising attacks especially down to the Coppull left hand side however if anything Coppull could of, and should of increased their lead with Degrassi and McIver missing good opportunities when well placed and Kershaw bringing the best out of the Poulton keeper from distance. Half time and Coppull led 3 nil.

The second half began much in the same vein the first half finished with Coppull missing chance after chance. The Poulton keeper made a number of great saves to keep his team in the game and the score down. Degrassi hit the post following a great passing team move and the keeper gathered the loose ball. Kershaw had another effort from outside the box which the keeper did well to tip over the bar. Mciver went through one on one and chose to chop back rather than strike for goal when well placed, and he was eventually smothered and the ball was cleared to safety. As the saying goes in football you have to take your chances to kill games off and unfortunately Coppull could not do this and Poulton pulled a goal back with a great cross and finish. Richardson and Darbyshire were introduced to shore up the game before Lynch came on to replace the walking wounded Nat Lindley up top. With two minutes to go Poulton were awarded a penalty for a rash tackle which was converted to make it 3-2 to Coppull and then it was panic stations. Poulton threw men forward and bombed the ball into the box and hit the post before being denied what looked like a clear penalty with seconds left in the game. However, it wasn’t given and Coppull ran out 3-2 winners in a game they should have been out of sight of in the first half!

Big lessons to be learned. On to Tuesday’s game and a local derby versus table-topping Euxton Villa.

51 views0 comments


bottom of page