top of page
  • Writer's pictureCoppull United

Lytham Town FC 1 vs 1 Coppull United FC – Saturday 12TH September 2020

Coppull United faced a second tough away fixture this week with

a trip to Lytham Town who won their opening fixture of the 2020/21 season. Lytham have performed really well since winning promotion to the West Lancs league a couple of years ago and are well renowned for being a physical side who have a formidable home record so Coppull knew they would have to build on last week’s performance against Thornton if they were to get anything from this game.

Coppull started the game with the same back 5 as the previous week with Liam Higginbotham in net, a back four of Conor Whitaker, Dave Parker, Jonny Hawman and Ben Morris. In front of them came a change with Jordan Parker away on holiday, in came 21 year old Jonty Mattock alongside Scott Hamill with Mikey Hindle completing the midfield engine room. Out wide were Matty Bulcock and Aaron Evans with the ever hard working Danny Marland once again leading the line. On the substitutes bench were the returning Jordan Wilson and Jimmy McIver alongside Cam Murphy and Lee Richardson, who has had a great pre-season with the reserves.

Lytham play their home games at the BAE Warton site and the wind always seems to play a part in their fixtures. The game got under way and straight away Coppull took the game to their opponents with the wind at their backs. With Jonty and Scott winning the midfield battle from the start this allowed Mikey Hindle to take up some great positions between the lines and support Danny Marland up front. The first chance came with Aaron Evans getting to the byline and pulling a great ball back which was met by the oncoming Jonty Mattock who shot wide, but the warning signs were there. More great play resulted in Bulcock isolating the full back one on one and he duly left his man for dead before cutting inside one on one with the goalkeeper however his dinked finish was well saved by the Lytham keeper. A fortunate rebound then fell to Evans 7 yards out who hit a great volley however the keeper once again came to Lytham’s rescue. Danny Marland was a constant thorn in the Lytham side and twice he went through on goal however he couldn’t get his shot away before the keeper managed to either smother the chance or force the ball out of play.

Although Coppull had the majority of chances Lytham could have nicked the lead when a long ball evaded Parker at the back and the Lytham forward was able to get a shot away which Higginbotham did really well to save. A header from a Lytham corner was then cleared off the line at the back post by Hamill. The breakthrough came with a great Coppull counter attack. Captain Dave Parker won a great tackle at the back and rolled the ball out to Conor Whitaker on the right who immediately found Scott Hamill who hit a great ball through the lines to Mikey Hindle who had taken up a great position. Mikey turned and Coppull broke with real pace, with Bulcock, Evans and Marland all making great runs. The latter two could of (and should of) got a shot away however just as it looked like the chance had gone the Lytham defender lunged in and committed a needless foul in the penalty area. Scott Hamill stepped up for the 2nd time in 2 weeks however his initial strike was well saved the rebound fell kindly and he tapped home from close range. Hal time and the score was 0-1 Coppull.

The second half began and Lytham changed tactics slightly and went more direct using their height and physical advantage at every opportunity they had. The Lytham skipper in particular was a constant threat from set pieces. It was 10 minutes into the second half and it was a lofted ball from out wide on the right that caught Coppull out. The Lytham forward broke free and it looked as though Conor Whitaker had managed to get back to put him off and with the Lytham forward falling the ref awarded a very contentious and soft penalty which the centre forward calmly slotted home to equalise.

Coppull responded by bringing on Jordan Wilson and Jimmy McIver to try and inject some more pace and power into the game and both did well. Wilson in particular catching the eye with his back to goal, hold up play, aerial dominance and link up play. Mciver took up some great positions and was unlucky not to beat the keeper to one ball and a Lytham defender made a great tackle just as it seemed Jimmy was breaking free on goal. Cam Murphy replaced Conor at right back and looked as solid as ever and the final substitution saw Richardson replace Bulcock out on the left.

In the last 20 minutes the game was end to end and was very open Coppull broke forward in numbers and numerous crosses from the right and Scott Hamill in particular were crying out to headed home however to no avail. At the other end, Lytham had a couple of good attacks however Liam was largely untroubled in the net. A great watch for the neutral and a great advertisement for West Lancs football drew to a close with the re

fs final whistle and the score, for the second week running was a 1-1 draw for Coppull. Next week we play our first home game against current League Champions Fulwood Amateurs.

Man of the match (as chosen by Lytham management): Mikey Hindle

Goal scorer: Scott Hamill

96 views0 comments


bottom of page