top of page
  • Writer's pictureCoppull United

Fulwood Amateurs FC 6 vs Coppull United FC 0 – Saturday May 1st 2021

West Lancashire Supplementary Cup

Coppull United FC finished their West Lancs Supplementary Cup campaign in disappointing fashion with a very poor showing against a very impressive Fulwood Amateurs side, who were a well organised, fit footballing side, packed with talented players throughout their squad.

Coppull started with Liam Higginbotham in goal, a back 4 of Cam Culshaw, Jonny Hawman, Dave Parker and Conor Whitaker. In midfield was Nat Lindley and Nathan Bibby with Aaron Evans and Jimmy McIver out wide. Jordan Wilson played as the lone front man with Scott Hendy just behind. On the bench were Jamie George, Aaron Entwistle and Greg Brickell.

The game began with both sides playing some very good football and for the first fifteen minutes of the game it was fairly equal. Fulwood are arguably the best team in the whole of the West Lancs footballing pyramid and on their day can rip any team apart with their possession-based football. It was from a Coppull corner however that they would take the lead. A Hendy corner was headed clear and Fulwood broke up the pitch at pace and the transition left Coppull players ambling in their half, whilst a cross came over from the left and the Fulwood right winger got across his man, finishing at the near post. Coppull responded by taking the game to Fulwood and had some good chances to equalise. Jimmy McIver was played in however his left footed shot failed to hit the target. Aaron Evans met a cross and looped a header over the on-rushing keeper however a Fulwood defender got back on the line and cleared it away. Coppull’s chances were hindered by an injury to goalkeeper Liam Higginbotham who injured his hamstring clearing the ball and struggled through the rest of the game. Fulwood scored their second, a little against the run of play and again it was the right winger Cheetham who found the far corner of the goal following another Coppull attack where Hendy beat his man but was then robbed of the ball by a Fulwood midfielder and then another quick counter resulted in them doubling their lead. Half time and 2 nil to Fulwood.

At the start of the second half Coppull tried to get the goal that would hopefully change the tide of the game however it was not meant to be. Fulwood went through the gears and were clinical, playing some excellent football which was ultimately helped by Coppull’s lacklustre showing. Brickell, Entwistle and George where all introduced however they could not change the team’s fortunes. Fulwood introduced Stammers, Cooper, McDonald and Walsh and their grip on the game tightened. They kept the ball at will moving it from side to side and Coppull had no answer to this. All four second half goals came down the Coppull left hand side where Fulwood created overloads and attacked at pace and at times were queueing up to score! Attempts on the Fulwood goal were few and far between however Brickell had a good effort well save by the Keeper and Hendy’s shot from distance lacked any real power to trouble the Fulwood Number 1. End of the game and Coppull had been well beaten by a far better side on the day!

Best of luck to Fulwood, Tony Hesketh and his management team who have assembled a great side and progress through to the knockout stages of the competition (and will certainly take some stopping on this form!)

Special mention to Coppull United’s Reserve side, who under Phil Hart, Neil Berrisford and Craig Wilding have progressed out of their group winning 4 out of 4 games, with another group game left to play on Tuesday. They have drawn Turton Reserves in the quarter finals and our best wishes are with Phil and the boys!

219 views0 comments


bottom of page